How To Choose A Healthy Diet?
How To Choose A Healthy Diet? Achieving a fit and toned body requires eating healthily as much as taking regular exercise and leading an active lifestyle. Food is needed as fuel for the body but it’s not just a matter of eating to satisfy your appetite and meeting your energy needs. The choices you make and nutrient quality of your food greatly influence how you look and feel.
Use this sample weekly diet plan as a blueprint for a healthy diet. It’s designed to be used as a guide so you get into the swing of making healthy and varied food choices and eating regular meals that are satisfying and enjoyable. You don’t need to do any tedious calorie counting, because by making sensible choices and cooking by low-fat cooking methods, your appetite will naturally control how much you eat.
You can mix and match the menu ideas to suit your lifestyle but do include all the fruits and vegetables (although they can be swapped for alternative choices) to make sure you are eating your ‘5 a day’. After week 1, you can then design your own menus following these guidelines:
– Eat 3 meals a day: breakfast, lunch and dinner. Don’t skip meals and in particular, make time for breakfast to get your day off to a healthy start.
– Eat a wide variety of different foods. This will help ensure your diet includes all the nutrients needed for good health.
– Go for lean meat, fish and poultry, starchy carbohydrates like bread, rice, pasta and potatoes and aim for at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables daily. Wholegrain cereals, like wholemeal bread, brown rice and oats are particularly satisfying to eat and like fruit, vegetables and pulses are good sources of fiber, needed for a healthy digestion.
– Cut down on high fat and sugary foods and unnecessary snacks between meals. For weak moments, choose a low-fat snack, such as a piece of fruit or some raw vegetable with a tomato salsa or tzatziki dip.
– You can have up to 300 ml /0,5 pint semi-skimmed milk each day for hot drinks or try herbal teas, hot lemon, blackcurrant or Bovril as alternatives.
– Drink plenty of water – aim for 6-8 glasses daily. Add ice and a slice of lemon or if you’re not keen on plain water, add a splash of fruit juice or cordial to sparkling mineral water.